With the average cost of vehicles on the road rising, it is financially prudent to maintain an old car for longer life. In the last ten years, vehicles have become more durable and built better than they ever were in the past, leading to cars having a longer life. As an increased number of people are holding on to their vehicles for a longer time, you might wonder what their secret is.
Proper maintenance should be started from the first day of ownership, and should not get neglected. The car comes with a manual, which comprises of manufacturers recommendations and which, when followed, leads to better performance. It would benefit you to take your car to repair shops like Telluride tire & auto for periodic car checks and repairs.
The maintenance that a car needs can fall under two categories:
Lifelong Maintenance: There are certain things that you need to do to ensure a healthy vehicle almost from the start. These include:
- Regular Oil Changes
- Replacing Spark Plugs, coolants, brake fluids etc.
- Checking tire pressure, and rotate tires according to the manufacturer’s recommendation.
- The air filter should be changed every 12 months or after every 1200 miles.
Maintenance once the car gets older: These are things you need to do once a few years have passed, and the car has considerable miles on it.
- Changing Windshield wipers: The wipers should be changed every couple of years to ensure that they do not streak at the time of need.
- Replacing Bald Tires: Tires have a life of its own, and after a few years starts to lose its grip, which may result in accidents. It is crucial to change the tires when they start looking bald.
- Battery maintenance and replacement: A good battery is the key to keep the car running smoothly and efficiently and should never get ignored.
- The engine timing belt: This connects the crankshaft to the camshaft and controls the timing of the valves. It should ideally be changed once your car reaches about 100,000 miles.
- Brake Pads: The brake pads require a change every 20,000 miles, but you should look at the manufacturers manual to be sure of your car’s requirements.
Keeping a car running for a longer time may require regular maintenance, but it is a cheaper alternative to buying a new car every few years. You should never ignore issues. It does not need to become a massive chore as it is possible to get the maintenance outsourced to auto repair shops.